Thursday 10 May 2012

Perfect man?

I was shocked recently to come across a survey carried out by the British Menswear company Austin Reed on what attributes supposedly make the perfect man.  The survey was taken by 2000 women and these are  the qualities the participants deemed necessary to make the "perfect man" :

Apparently, the perfect man is...
  1. Six feet tall
  2. Muscly, toned and athletic
  3. Brown eyes
  4. Short dark hair
  5. Smart dress sense
  6. A beer / lager drinker
  7. Non-smoker
  8. Wears smart jeans, shirt and a V-neck jumper
  9. Gets ready in 17 minutes
  10. Stylish
  11. Wants a family
  12. Earns £48,000 a year
  13. Loves shopping
  14. Eats meat
  15. Clean shaven
  16. Smooth chest
  17. Watches soaps
  18. Enjoys watching football
  19. Drives an Audi
  20. Educated to degree level
  21. Earns more than his other half
  22. Jokes around and has a laugh
  23. Sensitive when his wife/girlfirend is upset
  24. Says 'I love you' only when he means it
  25. Admits it when he looks at other women
  26. Holds a driving licence
  27. Can swim
  28. Can ride a bike
  29. Can change a tyre
  30. Rings mum regularly
     
     
I don't know about you, but as I was reading some of these I was thinking -

"Where did you find the 2000 women you surveyed?"

and

"They do realise they are describing a gay man?"

Ok so I'm stereotyping there, but really? I suppose that is another point though, why did the survey not include the opinions of gay men? Surely they have a worthy opinion on what makes the perfect man?

Still, that isn't the only thing that bugs me about this survey. To me, the majority of the listed requirements seem vacuous and superficial.  I'm probably taking it far too seriously.  This survey is probably only meant as a bit of fun and not meant to be taken seriously,  but are these really the qualities mothers are potentially teaching their children to look for in a partner?  I certainly don't want my child thinking that just because someone doesn't drive and Audi, earn a certain salary, or have an unshaven chest that they aren't good enough.  I mean just because someone earns a high salary it doesn't necessarily mean they are hard-working or trustworthy does it (I mean they might be a criminal mastermind)? What happened to qualities like courage and kindness? I don't know about you but I'd take kindness and compassion over a waxed chest any day (especially since I don't even wax my own body hair - thanks Veet)!

I could pick apart the survey some more but I'd end up just going off on an angry rant and foaming at the mouth.  I really do hope this survey is just for fun....




So what do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com