Monday 18 June 2012

Acronyms - WTF or FTW?



I was reading through an online forum today and it just struck me all of a sudden how many acronyms (and initialisations) there are floating around the internet.  There are all sorts,  I notice more and more every day.  It is difficult to keep up sometimes! I have even found myself frantically googling the latest one to find out what it means rather than risk the ridicule of not knowing! God forbid you don't know what YOLO or BBG mean or some other completely unnecessary acronym!  I blame the youngsters!  Are they too lazy to type a proper word?  Don't they have time for proper sentences? I'm sure they would if they got off Facebook, stepped away from the XBOX or stopped watching TOWIE!  I find these things incredibly annoying.   As much as I don't particularly like this abbreviation culture, I do find myself occassionally doing it myself!  Ok, so I don't use WTF or LOL but the terms OH, LO, SAHM and DD have definitely made it into my online vocabulary!  What do you think of these abbreviations?  Are some ok, or do you find all of it infuriating?

Seriously though, who makes up these things?  Surely there could be more useful initialisations than WTF or YOLO? I mean, they are a bit pointless aren't they? As silly as they are, I have a feeling they are here to stay! So, as a bit of fun I've decided to make up my own!  Surely they can't be any worse that the ones already floating about?  Read on and you can decide! 



MINOA - Mummy in need of alcohol

MINOW - Mummy in need of wine/whisky

MINOV - Mummy in need of Vodka

with all of the above the letter M could be replaced with a P (parent) or D (daddy) as required.

(M)BOB - (mummy's) Battery operated boyfriend for those times you fancy sneaking off for some "me" time.

FSYI -  F***sake you idiot (great for not swearing in front of the kiddies!)


FM - F***ing moron (as above)

BOOMM or BOOMFM - Bored out of my (f***ing) mind (as you are when surrounded by tinies sometimes)

LLS/FLS - Look like sh**/ Feel like sh** (a common parenting side effect)

TLTC/TTTC - Too lazy  to clean/Too tired to clean


ADIDAS - All day I dream about shoes

ADIDAC -  All day I dream about chocolate

WISW - What is she wearing



What do you think?  How bad are they?  Would you use any of these?  Got any better, funnier or silly ones?  I'd love to read them!!

4 comments:

@babberblog said...

The thing I find most interesting about them is that there are different ones for different sections of the online community.

Before I was reading parenting blogs I'd never heard of OH, LO, DH, etc. But I knew ones relevant on cycling websites. Then there are the LOLs etc which are universal.

I foresee lots of interesting (to me at least) research into online dialects in the future, as that's essentially what they are.

I like BOOMM and MINOW from your list, though it would be DINOW for me which is less good :-)

Unknown said...

I like them for twitter- handy to get extra into those limited 140 characters. And I like using them on FB because my teenager hates it when I do! But it's all in the context- if there is time/room/or it's proper or more formal writing then don't use the abbreviation would be my rule!

Marilynn said...

I definitely think it will be interesting to watch how online dialects develop and evolve. My worry is that by the time my Holly is a teenager I won't know what the hell she is talking about! Argh!

Marilynn said...

I tend to agree with you on this! Just worry about death of proper english language and the written word! Also would like to still have a clue what Holly will be writing when she is older! May need an acronym dictionary or translator by then!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com